Our Lady twice appeared to St. Catherine Laboure in Paris of 1830. It was in the convent chapel of the Daughters of Charity, started by St. Vincent de Paul, that Mary appeared very late one night. She asked Catherine to have a medal cast as Mary described it for her.
It was Mary’s picture on one side with her hands extended down with what looked like beams of light, but rather were graces that she pours out on those who ask while she crushes the serpent. The words “O Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee” inscribed around the edges of the medal with “1830” at the bottom.
On the other side is the picture of an “M” and a cross. Underneath are pictures of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus surrounded by twelve evenly placed stars around the outside the medal for the twelve tribes of Israel and the twelve apostles.
This medal became to be known as the Miraculous Medal because of the many miracles that occurred through Our Lady’s intercession and the medal. There have been healings in physical and mental form. The blind regain their sight; the sick regain their health; the mentally handicap regain mental cognizance.