As Thanksgiving 2020 approaches, I feel a deep sadness at the way it is being rushed, so that Christmas can come faster. You do realize that pushing Christmas doesn’t really make it come any faster, right? Anymore than we could make it come faster as children. Over the years it seems that Christmas has been pushed up and pushed up that we now have Christmas trees and other paraphernelia in stores by June! Didn’t the Christmas clearance items just get sold, and now we have new items to put out? If you do decorate early, all you have to look forward to is a nice, thick layer of dust on all of your Christmas baubles and bells!
Seriously, people! We are missing a great holiday. And, no, I’m not just talking about the food! Thanksgiving is a holiday about gratefulness. I, personally think we could use quite a bit more gratefulness in our world. I don’t care who you are or what you do for a living, you have things for which to be grateful! So, I wanted to make a list. Here goes:
I am thankful/grateful/blessed by:
- My God and faith. He is for whom I live and who I will serve forever. Amen!
- My children #’s 1 – 4. They are all different, but they are the heart and soul of my life!
- My friends. When I think I can’t possibly keep going, they are there to cheer me on, and let me know that I am loved.
- My home. It may be small and could definitely be in better shape, but like many things, it’s a work in progress and I am grateful to have a roof over my head!
- The food that God has always provided. It doesn’t matter how much we struggle, God has always given us an abundance of things to eat. Even with our dietary restrictions, He takes care of us.
- Our struggles and challenges. We often think that life would be so much better if we didn’t have to struggle so much, but would it really? How would we get to be the great person we are today if we never had to struggle and didn’t face challenges every day?
- Music. I love music of many types. It is something which can calm me down, fuel my fire, or just simply invite me to sing along. How much poorer my life would be without music!
Thank you, God for all of your gifts, blessings and challenges!
I do realize that most people want 2020 (and especially the corona virus to be over.) However, playing Christmas songs in November isn’t going to speed that up any! Be grateful for everything and don’t forget to celebrate Thanksgiving!